Code of Conduct
613 Cycling – Code of Conduct
We strive for every member of 613 Cycling to contribute positively to the cycling community. Part of this is encouraging behaviour that reflects our core values: a passion for cycling, a positive attitude, and respect for others. We encourage members to project and maintain a positive image of the club, both at home and away.
Prior to participating in any 613 Cycling club rides, we ask that you review our ride guidelines below. Many of these are common sense, but some are key points for the safety of all ride participants and other road users. There are also a few points that are unique to the way 613 Cycling runs our club rides (e.g. “no abandon”).
If you're short on time, keep scrolling for the quick version. If you'd like a deep dive, our full ride guidelines can be found here.
613 Cycling Ride Guidelines – (SHORT)
- It is your responsibility to know and follow the 613 Cycling Ride Guidelines
- If someone is committing a ride foul, politely say something and/or point it out to the ride leader.
- Failure to abide by the rules may result in you being asked to leave.
- As per OCA insurance rules, ALL 613 Cycling Group Ride participants must be either:
- (1) a 613 Cycling member; or
- (2) an approved guest from an OCA/UCI affiliated club.
- Follow the instructions from the ONE designated Ride Leader only.
- If you are not the ride leader, do not yell other instructions. Though you are still encouraged to help maintain a safe and orderly ride.
- Follow the rules of the road.
- Never cross the yellow line. Stop at red lights. Yield to other road users appropriately.
- EVERYONE is responsible for pointing out/calling out hazards and traffic situations; even those mid-pack.
- Ride smoothly at all times. No sudden movements or braking.
- Ride shoulder to shoulder, unless single-file is indicated. If you are always pulling ahead of the person you are riding beside, back it off.
- Maintain a tight, but safe pack formation.
- Do not overlap wheels.
- Do not surge or leave gaps in the rotation.
- If you are having trouble, communicate with the other riders.
- 613 Cycling Rides are "No Abandon" by default.
- We will not leave anyone behind... Though we count on our members to select rides that are appropriate to their skill and fitness level.
- If you are leaving the group, let the Ride Leader know.
- If there is a mechanical or need for nature breaks while riding, everyone in the group should pull over to the right safely and as soon as possible.
- All riders must stop and wait to regrouping.
- Be courteous to other road users.
- Remember that when you ride in 613 kit, you are an ambassador for our club and our sport.
Enjoy the Ride!